Tuesday 9 November 2010

Legging longies







I came up with this pattern because I wanted some longies which would not drag on the ground now my daughter can walk. I don't find the common baggy style very practical. Also, I thought this style would look nice under a dress, more like tights.  I've linked to the pattern on ravelry here

It is worked in double knit as I didn't want them to be bulky seeing as they are quite fitted. I worked them on straights because I find knitting in the round tedious, but you could easily work it in one piece if you are so inclined. Specific leg/rise measurements are not given because using your child will give a better fit.

The snug fit at the ankles means you can get away with making them a bit too long as well to allow for growth. There is a lotnof room for a big bottom though...we often use them over a soaker as well when out and about. They fitted fine when I made them for my 16 month old, and look like they will fit for a long time to come! Which is good because it felt like they took a long time to knit, but I was a bit nervous about how they'd come out. Well, I think they're perfect! There's a few short rows and I made an elastic waistband but you could easily do a drawstring instead. Length of leg etc would also be easily adjustable. They have a big big behind, if you have a skinny baby you might like to decrease a little before the waistband to reduce bulk. My baby is chubby and doesn't mind.





Longies
Co 36 on 3.25 mm with dk and work 1x1 rib for 2 inches
Change to 3.75 and k 1 row, incing 4 STs evenly across the row (40)
P one row
* Inc one st at beg and end of next row
Work three rs st st
Rep from * to 80 sts then cont straight til reqd length.
Co 2 sts at beg of next 2 rs for crotch and work 2 rs straight.
K 38, wrap, turn and p back to end.
K 36, wrap, turn and p to end
Cont working short rows dec by 2 sts each time until final short row
of 24 sts.
Cont straight on all sts til you have the desired rise. Then change back to 3.25 mm k one row on the wrong side to make a neat ridge for turning. Knit straight for about an inch and a half and cast off.

Make another leg the same but reversing the short row shaping and join them together!















Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. They look great - what gorgeous colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look great! ideal like you say for walkers and lovely yarn choice which really suits your lo :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute. I'd like to try them, too. How much wool did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    I am an old gramma who doesn't have the coordination to knit with dpns, but I have two new grands, one born Aug 29 and one Nov 7 and I would very much like to knit them each a pair of these.
    I do not live where they live and in the one Aug 29 case - her name is Sierra I am not even able to contact them.
    So being as I'm shooting in the dark anyways do you have any pointers for me for size wise? I think Sierra is pretty thin, but Dylan is probably just an average baby.
    thank you for listening and any help you can give. ann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...